Sunday, September 25, 2011

Journal Due 9/19 (Sorry for being late!)

For this class, I felt it was good to read the "Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants" document, watch the two educational Youtube clips, and then come together as a class to discuss everything because it allowed me to get a clear picture of how important it is for technology to be utilized into today's classrooms. As mentioned in an earlier blog, the whole schooling experience has been changing more and more over the past few decades simply by the fact that the world overall is changing at the same time. New technologies are not only being introduced at a fast rate, but many of these technological advances are having such an affect on the way people live and function in our society that it is almost mind-blowing to think about. Besides the fact that classrooms are changing through the introduction of tools like powerpoint presenations, the internet, and smart boards, teachers need to realize that the students themselves are changing as well. With the fact that students gain so much information from around the world through the internet, they are used to obtaining information in a very short period of time. Since the students are changing, the teachers have to compensate this change by altering the teaching methods that were widely practiced in previous decades. For example, lectures are becoming more and more a thing of the past as teachers are using other methods that engage each student more than a simple lecture. I feel that is going to be important for me to learn about as a future educator but I do not feel as it will be as much of a problem to "change my teaching methods to adapt to this digital natives" as it will be for a digital immigrant teacher because 1) I have not taught before so I do not need to change anything and 2) I myself was in grade school during the rise of the digital natives.

No comments:

Post a Comment